Saturday, January 10, 2015

Book Blogger Hop January 9th - January 15th: Maxwell Smart Is Agent 86

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: If you could have dinner with your favorite character, who would it be?

I'm not sure that I would actually want to have dinner with my favorite characters, because most of them are fairly damaged or difficult individuals. reading about the travails suffered by Paul Muad'Dib Atreides is interesting, and I love the character, but he would probably make for a less than enjoyable dinner companion. Lorq von Ray is a great character, but probably wouldn't be someone I'd pick to have dinner with. The same holds true for so many of the other characters that feature in the stories that I love. Many of the characters range from narcissistic and overbearing jerks to badly wounded and damaged personalities, with everything in between. Very few of my favorite characters would make good dinner company.

The handful of my favorite characters that would be good company for dinner would be some of the protagonists in some of the young adult books that I grew up on, so I may as well pick Taran and Eilonwy, the central characters from The Chronicles of Prydain, which is one of my favorite series of books. Although they deal with some difficult circumstances in the books - Taran's search for his missing parents turns out to be fruitless and one of his oldest friends and mentors dies during a war against Arawn, while Eilonwy has to deal with the demands placed upon her by her heritage, as well as having to actually renounce that heritage in the end - they both remain capable, kind, and generally nice people. Compared to the various other choices I might make for dinner companions, these two characters would be excellent choices, and so I am choosing them.

Subsequent Book Blogger Hop: The Wenger Swiss Army Knife Has 87 Tools

Book Blogger Hop     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment