Monday, October 1, 2012

Musical Monday - This Fantasy World (Dungeons & Dragons) by The Doubleclicks


The Doubleclicks are still on their East coast Ladies of Ragnarok tour with Molly Lewis and Dammit Liz. Due to prior commitments I was unable to go see them when they came to the Washington D.C. area, so I am consoling myself by featuring their songs every Musical Monday until their tour is done. If they come near you, you should go see them. Here is a performance of This Fantasy World (Dungeons & Dragons) from Nerds and Music in 2011. The two announcers who come on after them are Paul & Storm.

This song is their first "hit", and is a love story between a girl, a boy, and a fantasy role-playing game. The kind of role-playing game you play with polyhedral dice, character sheets, and multiple rulebooks each containing several hundred pages of rules. I love playing D&D, and well, pretty much any other role-playing game. Or war game. Or pretty much anything like that. I don't think I ever had a woman fall in love with me at the gaming table though. Heck, I don't think there were any girls playing in any games I participated in until I was well into adulthood.

And I think this song represents a shift in the science fiction and fantasy field that is excellent. When I was younger, genre fiction and gaming were primarily male activities. There were some girls who liked these sorts of things, but they were rare. I don't know exactly what the catalyst for the influx of female gamers, fantasy fans, and science fiction fans was, but moving these pursuits out of the male ghetto they had languished in is a definite improvement.

Subsequent Musical Monday: Modern Poetry (Nerdy Love Song) by The Doubleclicks

The Doubleclicks     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment